Monday, January 09, 2006

The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents

I'm into my third day without Bombay and Callas... oops... I mean Bangles. *sigh* I'm still missing them badly. This really is the toughest part of fostering. For me, at least. It's the first few days after letting them go that is hardest. No matter how many times you go through it, you still ache. Well, at least I'm not being a crybaby like I was the very first time. I guess this is improvement already.

Well, I'm distracting myself with a new book. I picked it up two weekends ago and finally got down to reading it last night. It's by Terry Pratchett and it's called The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents.

This is the edition I'm reading

It is very well written with great humour, an intriguing plot and fascinating characters. And I'm only on page 73!

The main characters are Maurice, a cat who talks and is a master criminal, and his team of super intelligent rats, all with the ability to talk as well and have funny names like Hamnpork, Darktan, Dangerous Beans, Peaches, Nourishing, Bestbefore, Donut Enter, Sardines, Feedsfour and Bitesize.

Can you guess already how the rats got their names?

Then there's a not-so-bright human boy accompanying Maurice and the rats. I've just met an odd and somewhat annoying little girl called Malicia. And there's a villain somewhere, but I haven't come to him yet.

Maurice has manipulated the rats into joining him in a scam to move around the different towns and cheat the humans out of silver and gold coins. "Shiny like the moon" and "shiny like the sun" are how they differentiate the coins. The rats, or more specifically Dangerous Beans, feels that cheating and stealing is wrong. So the rats want to call it quits. But Maurice, being a greedy, cunning sort of guy, wants to continue. But he realises he can't force the rats into doing something they don't want to do. So he goes on the sly and tricks them into doing one last scam.

"Let's make this the big one, then, eh?" Maurice tells the rats. He wants to "leave [the humans] amazed". But this town seems different from all the others. And you can smell trouble brewing already.

Ooh... exciting!

This picture must be from an illustrated version

I'm thoroughly enjoying the book and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a light-enough read that will take them on a charming and exciting journey through the eyes of a genius feline and his intellectual rodents.

And now I'm off to start on page 74!

~5-Cat Style

9 comments:

Singapore Community Cat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Singapore Community Cat said...

I can understand the sense of "loss" of callas and bombay. Those of us who take care of community cats also have to deal with losses. One of three cats at a coffeeshop near my workplace, have not been seen for the last few times that I stopped by. The mind goes into a negative mode "Was he killed by car?" " Was he relocated yet again? And will he survive?" If these negative emotions accumulate, the result will be a "burnt out". We have to learn to deal with these emotions and remain positive to continue caring for community cats.

=^..^= said...

Hi Vegancat,

When community cats go missing like this, do they usually turn up again?

Gosh... you must be feeling so much worse than me. The anxiety of having a cat go missing is not quite the same as missing a cat you know is safe and in a good home.

But you are right... it can all be very emotionally draining and if not handled properly, we can suffer a burnout.

You know, I really wanted to plunge into caring for another litter of kittens right away. But another volunteer advised me to take a break first. I suppose she is right.

~5-Cat Style

Singapore Community Cat said...

Sometimes "MIA" community cats do turn up. Sometimes they don't. We can only wish that they are safe where-ever they are and if they are not, then let their sufferings not be prolonged. This is life with its up and down.
If you are "bored", then look after Sanju :)
He is getting "naughty" and wandering further from the laundry area when he is let out of his cage. H

=^..^= said...

Ah, Sanju... I've been following his progress on your blog. Glad to see his wound healing nicely. It was looking pretty nasty at first. I'll be happy to care for Sanju. :) Let me take care of a little house-hunting at my end. As soon as I've settled that, I'll get in touch with you about Sanju.

~5-Cat Style

Singapore Community Cat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Singapore Community Cat said...

Oh yes it was a nasty wound on his nape and a bleeding right paw wound. He is one of the gentlest kittens I have ever come across. No hint of adverse reaction when I clipped his nails. He is simply not afraid of anyone (human or animals!) and hence he will wander anywhere! He still has some sniffles and some eye discharge but they are clearing. I am sure anyone who comes and see him will not fail to fall in love with him.
Because of his eye discharge, he didn't look too good in his photos I posted on cws.
If I can find a foster-home for him, then I will bring Meenu back to stay for good.

=^..^= said...

Hi Vegancat,

I'm pretty good with sick kittens (sniffles, eye discharge and all). So I'll take good care of Sanju. :)

How is he eating?

~5-Cat Style

Singapore Community Cat said...

Hi
He is eating very well. He knows good food! Nirasha said he loved the Avoderm small can! That's $1.50 a can.
He has put on a significant amount of weight since he came in with the prominent tummy on a skinny body.